Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Jeanette's Personal Profile

Hello Everyone,

Over my lifetime I've read mainly non-fiction books. I don't think this makes me a nerd. I just like reading about true to life things more than fictional stories. Of course, I haven't abandoned fiction altogether.

Here are a few of my favorite fiction titles.

The Mitford Series

It wasn't until my early thirties that I started reading fiction. My mother's best friend loaned me a copy of Jan Karon's At Home in Mitford to read. My mother just had a stroke and instead of keeping the story all to myself I decided to read it out loud to her. Well it didn't take long until we were both hooked on the characters and life in the small town of Mitford, North Carolina. Father Tim the Episcopalian priest and his parishioners could make you laugh and make you cry all in the same chapter. What can I say, we just had to read all the books in the series until we were done.

A Walk To Remember

The next fiction book I enjoyed was A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. The story takes place in the late 1950's and tells the tale about Landon Carter, rogue teenage boy and Jamie Sullivan, the good girl next door and their budding romance that turns into true love. Have kleenex on hand, you'll need it. And by the way, the book is much much better than that stupid movie with Mandy Moore. Other books I've read by Nicholas Sparks include: The Notebook, The Rescue, and Nights in Rodanthe. I've actually driven through that Outer Banks North Carolina town.

The Walk

An author I finally decided to check out in the last couple of years is Richard Paul Evans. The first book I read by him is entitled The Walk. This books tells the tale of Alan Christoffersen and his fall from pinacle to pit. To cope with his loss and grief he decides to set out on a journey that takes him from the west coast of Washington State to Key West, Florida. He meets many colorful characters along the way. Some of them speak into his life and others have the opportunity to have him speak into their lives. It's a time of personal growth and testing. The second book in the series is titled Miles To Go. Oh yeah, did I mention you have to wait a year between each title being published. Book 3 entitled Road to Grace is set to come out on May 8th. I can't wait!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment